Tow bars and roof bars for the MG6

6 years 7 months ago #954 by MartinW
For information:

Witter Tow bar – there is an official MG6 towbar accessory, produced by Witter, that can be ordered through the parts department of any MG dealer and fitted there.

There are no official roof bars that are formal accessories although some people have fitted ‘generic’ ones. Hopefully we will get some feedback as to which ones work.

MartinW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #955 by marshal-beej
I have the Witter towbar on my 6. The only issue I have is that I wanted a 13 pin socket on it for my caravan but MG could only fit a 7 pin trailer socket so currently have no caravan electrics. Need to get it somehere to have the socket changed.

www.mg6register.co.uk - The most popular forum for MG6 owners, and home to the official MG6 forum of the MGCC.

6 years 7 months ago #984 by MartinW
A bit more info from MG UK.

The recommended (but not officially endorsed) option is:

www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/roof-bars-prorack.php

The Witter tow-bar kit has been fully approved and used for Engineering trailer tests for transmission sign-off on petrol and diesel. I (note: as in Ian Pogson who provided this information) personally approved the wiring kit with Electrical support, with the Witter Engineer. It is vital that the MG6 specific kit is ordered.
Tow-bar and electrics package 10086497

MartinW

6 years 5 months ago #1872 by Hainsie
My bike is getting rusty.

Any update on roof bars??

Fleet market will want them.

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #1874 by MartinW
The short answer is there will be no feedback on roof bars as the Chinese are not allowed roof bars and tow bars by law so won't invest in testing for a limited UK market at present. I will send you an email. Hopefully that will improve with increased sales and markets.

MartinW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hainsie

6 years 5 months ago #1884 by Hainsie
Thanks Martin.

Didn't ask Keith the other day, he seemed a little busy!

6 years 5 months ago #1885 by A. Muse
The 6 that I test drove had roof bars for racing bikes fitted :( (The dealer owners's son was in a cycle racing team and the car was plastered in ads for them as well)

You could try ringing them and asking what bars they used: Perkins Rayne - 01376 550899

www.mg6register.co.uk The trouble with retirement is you never get a day off!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hainsie

6 years 5 months ago #1899 by Hainsie
Thanks Chap!! :)

6 years 5 months ago #1986 by IainS
I have just fitted a witter tow bar to my MG6 and thought that a photo of the cut out I had to make would be of use to anyone planning to do the same.

The larger cut out on the left is required so that the socket can be swiveled up well out of sight and potential damage without fouling on the bumper. Even with this cutout the bumper is very secure and is not readily visible from the back. I was supplied three different socket brackets with the kit and decided that the plastic one was the best.

Iain
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW, James Negus

6 years 5 months ago #2035 by Hainsie
After Barry's advice, I have tried once more with the roof bar question.

Still a big no, this time from the top. Suggested I try Halfords...

Am I alone in thinking this is a desirable accessory for outdoor activity type people. Won't BSA gun owners need a roof rack to transport stags home after a days fun? :whistle:

Surely fleet buyers will require them for family activities too?

6 years 5 months ago #2037 by MartinW
Indeed, Hainsie, another thing to take up with the management.

MartinW

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #2169 by IainS
Now that the towbar is fitted and I have used it I am able to make a few comments.

I bought the Witter towbar, wiring kit and bypass relay from PF Jones. It was not packed very well. They had just opened up the Witter box and added the extra bit's.
Because of that there were some scratches in the protective paint. Before I fitted it I gave it a couple of coats of undercoat (not on any of the mating faces).

When the bumper was off I noticed a shelf just below both rear lights which had trapped a lot of road grit, salt and water. There was no way for this to drain off. Once I had cleaned the muck out I coated this shelf well with waxall. It is not necessary to remove the bumper to get access to this shelf, it just requires the removal of the rear lights (four nuts).

Fitting the towbar itself didn't present any difficulties, the bit's went in very well.
I did have to cut a bit more from the bumper to clear the electrics socket. There is a photo back up this thread showing this.

The wiring was fairly straight foreword. There is already an unused rubber grommet on the off side behind the bumper to feed the wires through.

The relay was mounted behind the boot trimming carpet just below the offside rear light using self adhesive velcro. I have taken a note of all the wire colour codes and could post this if requested.
The wire from the rear fog light can be picked up in the harness under the nearside rear light. It is a blue and white wire. This avoids running a wire back outside to the light.

Power for the bypass relay (12v fused at 20A) can be picked up from the power socket in the boot. If this is done however it would not be advisable to use that socket whilst towing. A separate source of power would be required if there was a need to power a cool box or something similar at the same time as towing. This power socket is already fused a 20A on the MG6.

In use I find that the flasher warning buzzer is much quieter than the one on the ZR (soundproofing?).

There is no buzzing from the reversing sensors when using a trailer. I was easily able to reverse the car to give less than 2" between the towbar and the towing hitch using the camera. My trailer is so small that it cannot be seen when driving the car so I have to rely entirely on the camera when reversing.

A few final notes - When replacing the rear bumper it is very easy to keep the panel alignment and gaps true because of the plastic alignment strips between the bumper and the back wings, much easier than on the ZR.
I replaced some of the mounting screws with stainless ones as some of them were beginning to show signs of corrosion.
When I has the boot trim off I found two earthing at each side so as a precaution I cleaned them and treated them with copper slip.

Fitting and removing the removable arm is a bit of a hastle and definately need a small knealing mat. But, it is virtually invisible from behind the car when removed.

I hope those comments will be of some use.

Iain
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW, A. Muse, James Negus, david5000

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.