Tow bars and roof bars for the MG6

6 years 1 month ago #2345 by triumph
Can you post the wiring colour codes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #2357 by IainS

triumph wrote: Can you post the wiring colour codes

Now that I have sorted a simple way to present the info I now can.

I will repeat some of the details I have already posted to make this posting more stand alone.

I fitted the bypass relay below the RH rear light under the boot carpet and held it in place using self adhesive velcro.
There is a very convienent gromet fitted behind the rear bumper under the RH rear light. This is ideal for routing the cable from the towbar socket.
I used the earthing points under the RH side boot carpet.
The 12 volt power required for the bypass relay taken from the bootpower socket.
The fog lamp feed can be obtained from a cable in the harness on the boot floor behind the LH rear light. This is much better than running a wire direct from the rear of the fog light which would be quite vulnerable to damage.

Function, Location, Car wiring colour, Pin on rear light, Wire colour from relay

RH ind, Behind RH light, Green, 4, Green.

RH tail, Behind RH light, Red/blue, 6, Brown.

Brake, Behind RH light, Blue/brown, 5, Red.

Reverse, Behind RH light, Green/brown, 3, Grey.

LH ind, Behind LH light, Green/brown, 4, Yellow.

LH tail, Behind LH light, Red/black, 6, Black.

Fog, Boot floor behind LH light, Blue/white, N/A, Blue.

The 'pin on rear light' column is the pin numbers on the connector into the tail lights. This gives the potential to check that the correct tapping off point on the car wiring has been selected.

The 'wire colour from relay' are the colours in the cable attached to the bypass relay which I bought as part of the kit from PF Jones.

On top of the kit of parts an additional one meter of wire will be required for the 12 volt lead between the boot socket and the bypass relay.

I hope this gives you the info you require. Please check that your car uses the same colours for the wiring.

Iain
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW, triumph

6 years 1 month ago #2593 by Tracy
After seeing the pics on FB of the new cycling team I posted a message on the MG page re roofbars.

Tracy Mck: Hi, there have been several comments on the The MG6 Register about the roof bars on the MG6 used for the MG Maxifuel Pro Cycling Team launch. Will they be /are they available for us to buy?

Steve Haines: I have e-mailed the cycling team too.

MGSalesCentre: Hi Tracy & Steve, unfortunately the rack was for display only. A cycle rack isn't currently available for MG6. However, your interest has been passed to the team in MG responsible for accessories. / David

2012 (62) MG6 GT TSE in Granite Grey

www.mg6register.co.uk - The most popular forum for MG6 owners, and home to the official MG6 forum of the MGCC.
Attachments:

6 years 1 month ago #2594 by MartinW

Tracy wrote: MGSalesCentre: Hi Tracy & Steve, unfortunately the rack was for display only. A cycle rack isn't currently available for MG6. However, your interest has been passed to the team in MG responsible for accessories. / David

They have a team responsible for accessories? :blink: :woohoo: :S :laugh: :whistle:

MartinW

6 years 1 month ago #2598 by Tracy
Well, they've got access to the internet so probably look on the same Chinese websites as we do ;)

2012 (62) MG6 GT TSE in Granite Grey

www.mg6register.co.uk - The most popular forum for MG6 owners, and home to the official MG6 forum of the MGCC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Negus

6 years 1 month ago #2604 by James Negus

MartinW wrote: They have a team responsible for accessories? :blink: :woohoo: :S :laugh: :whistle:

You got to be kidding??? :ohmy: they must be also responsible for other far more important work because the accessories list is so..............small :huh:

Blimey, I think this Register has found more :laugh:

Shocking.... :blink:

If you're havin' car problems I feel bad for you Son!
I got 99 problems but my 6 ain't one!

6 years 6 days ago #3069 by James Negus
Hope some of you may be able to help me :blush:

I'm thinking about buying a caravan to do some 'cheap' family holidays. If I get my own way, then possibly use it as soon as MG Live! in June :woohoo: I've contacted Laurie @ Apple MG for prices, to fit the MG Motor UK Approved Witter tow bar and electrics for single or double sockets and this should be with me tomorrow I expect :)

As far as I have researched, I can tow a trailer/caravan up to 85% of the kerbweight of the car taking into account the nose weight the car can pull too......

This is now where I have come unstuck :blush: as I have found conflicting kerbweights from MG sources between 1450kgs and another at 1600kgs for the MG6 GT 1.8TCi tech engine car. Also, different nose weight limits of 70 and another of 100 although I'm not sure if this is kgs or a scale measurement :huh:

I'm after some concrete FACTS so I know what exactly I'm allowed to tow with my car....can anyone help? :S

Many thanks!!! B)

6 years 6 days ago #3072 by IainS

James Negus wrote: Hope some of you may be able to help me :blush:

I'm thinking about buying a caravan to do some 'cheap' family holidays. If I get my own way, then possibly use it as soon as MG Live! in June :woohoo: I've contacted Laurie @ Apple MG for prices, to fit the MG Motor UK Approved Witter tow bar and electrics for single or double sockets and this should be with me tomorrow I expect :)

As far as I have researched, I can tow a trailer/caravan up to 85% of the kerbweight of the car taking into account the nose weight the car can pull too......

This is now where I have come unstuck :blush: as I have found conflicting kerbweights from MG sources between 1450kgs and another at 1600kgs for the MG6 GT 1.8TCi tech engine car. Also, different nose weight limits of 70 and another of 100 although I'm not sure if this is kgs or a scale measurement :huh:

I'm after some concrete FACTS so I know what exactly I'm allowed to tow with my car....can anyone help? :S

Many thanks!!! B)

Here we are James. This is the info you require for your model taken from my Owner's Handbook I got with my MG6 1.8TCi. TSE 61 reg.(page 202)

Kerb weight,

GT S 1485kg, GT SE 1490kg, GT TSE 1495kg, Saloon S 1475kg, Saloon SE 1480kg, Saloon TSE 1485kg.

Gross vehicle weight, all models 2040kg

All models - Towing weight un-braked 750kg

All models - Towing limit braked 1450kg

All models - Towing hitch maximum download 100kg

Cheers

Iain

6 years 6 days ago #3073 by James Negus
So I can tow a fully laden caravan of 1450kgs? and I need to work out how the 100kgs nose weight works :blink:

6 years 6 days ago #3075 by IainS

James Negus wrote: So I can tow a fully laden caravan of 1450kgs? and I need to work out how the 100kgs nose weight works :blink:

That is what mg specify that the car can tow. But in line with the cc recomendations I would be looking at a maximum towed weight of 1275kg although that is not a legal requirement.

The nose weight is the maximum weight that can be applied in the towbar by the towed vehicle.
This weight can easily be adjusted by moving things about inside the towed vehicle. Normally this would be less than the 100 kg maximum permitted weight.

Does that help?
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Negus

6 years 5 days ago #3076 by James Negus
Found a superb download article from the campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk explaining about weights and yes, I see what you mean.....sensible max weight of a loaded caravan is 1250kgs so I will have a look online for one B)

5 years 11 months ago #3190 by James Negus
I've been quoted today by Apple MG for the MG Motor approved Witter tow bar fitted with single electrics at £550 or double electrics at £595 :P not bad at all I think for manufacturer approved and fitted accessories. More of a note for myself than anything but a rough guide for others too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: A. Muse

Time to create page: 0.914 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.