Tow bars and roof bars for the MG6

5 years 6 months ago #5197 by Scott723
anymore info on the roof racks yet??????? i could do with a set as i have a roof box i cant use hahaha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #5198 by MartinW
Apparently these as posted in the thread near the beginning:
www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/roof-bars-prorack.php

Unfortunately these are not officially tested and approved, but do fit. If I say that the Chinese are not allowed to use roof bars and tow bars on their cars you might get some idea of why these accessories are not officially endorsed in the UK, someone has to pay for the testing and someone probably can't see the need for the use of these. Someone probably being SAIC!

MartinW
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Negus, Scott723

4 years 2 months ago #19275 by cavematt
I am sorry to resurect an old thread.

To clarify the cycle rack situation, I own the X athletic club cycle car. The bike racks were (I am led to believe) specially made, and they did cause a bit of damage to the roof by being mounted on there. It had to have a respray.

For me I have a boot mounted halfords bike carrier, works fine and doesnt cover the number plate, so you dont need the wiring kit for a board!

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=21CB564D04...3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

That is a picture of it!

3 years 8 months ago #21520 by david5000
Iain I got a second hand mg6 towbar today. Should there be side brackets?

3 years 8 months ago #21522 by IainS

david5000 wrote: Iain I got a second hand mg6 towbar today. Should there be side brackets?

David. Side brackets?
Once the bumper has been removed, the rear crash bar has to be taken off. There are four bolts either side fixing it on. There should be two plates on the towbar at either side which match the ones on the crash bar. From each of the plates there is a short square box section which slides inside square tubes either side of the spare wheel well below the boot floor. There are no separate side brackets. Just the flat plate and projection which replace the crash bar.
The crash bar is not required when the towbar is fitted. But keep it they are quite expensive.
I remember that I had to drop the exhaust back box to fix the bolt through the nearside projection and the square tube. I did not remove the exhaust but just dropped it by removing the O rings.
Quite a few bolts are required.

Hope that helps. I could take some photos if you want some more details.

3 years 8 months ago #21523 by david5000
Many thanks. All I got is the towbar with a welded bracket each end with two holes drilled in it.

3 years 8 months ago #21525 by IainS

david5000 wrote: Many thanks. All I got is the towbar with a welded bracket each end with two holes drilled in it.

You do have some bit's missing. There are two T shaped brackets which join your end plates to the crashbar mountings and there are a couple of metal bits which pass through the T brackets to the cavities forward of the crashbar mountings.

Will you be able to get back to the towbar seller?

3 years 8 months ago #21526 by david5000
I will ring Witter in morning to see how much these parts are. If too much I will ring the seller, but I think he left the bits on the car he sold. Which could be compromised without the original crash bar.

1 week 3 days ago #26567 by Mr Murtel
Hello one and all. I have recently bought an MG6 and was wondering about roof bars. The link previously posted on takes me to a website but they say they don't do any for the car. Does anyone know of any universal ones that do the job please?

5 days 2 hours ago #26574 by gaz-103
The only one I've come across is from an Australian company (Protrack) - not sure you can get them in the UK https://www.prorack.com.au/findmycar  

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.