MG6 bigger intercooler

3 years 2 months ago #23017 by Roewe
MG6 bigger intercooler was created by Roewe
Hi, I drive a car that is very similar to the MG6, 1.8T petrol but under a different name and left hand drive. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a bigger intercooler custom made. I am prepared to pay for all costs. My car can boost to more than 20 psi or 1.3 Bar so I need better cooling. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #23102 by Figo
Replied by Figo on topic MG6 bigger intercooler
If you find out the details of the Standard Intercooler then you can always use a universal one of larger size.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #23108 by Blue Charger
Replied by Blue Charger on topic MG6 bigger intercooler
Try Pace Products, or as mentioned do a search for universal intercoolers. How do you get the boost to 20psi? Does the Roewe (550?) have a different ECU etc? Can you get the same kit for the 6?

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #23117 by Roewe
Replied by Roewe on topic MG6 bigger intercooler
Thanks, I'm hoping to get a bigger intercooler without taking my old one out for measurements as I need the car to go to work. As for the Roewe 550 yes it's the same as the MG6 only the body is different, the ECU should be the same. To achieve 20psi boost you would need to seek a professional because the MG6 has a MAF (mass air flow) and a MAP ( mass absolute pressure) it's near your injectors. With the original ECU even after you flashed it the car will go into limp mode on 13psi and there is nothing you can do to give it more because of the ECU restrictions. What I did was buy another computer to piggy back of the original ecu I think it's from AEM, I got it off ebay but it's not cheap and then you need a tuner to set it up for you. I can boost to more than 20psi but I leave it there as not to push it too much to preserve the engine. Another thing is I have changed to a bigger turbo from a Garrett GT20 to GT28. I think all the MG6 turbos are GT20. I have an electronic boost controller to control my boost so I mostly drive on around 12 psi but when a challenge comes up I boost it to 20 :)

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #23124 by Roewe
I would like to share some more pics of my car :), I have no one to talk to about cars where I am living at the moment. In the photo you see a dual touchscreen infotaintment, you can buy an aftermarket one without any mods, the dashboard is the same except for the instrument cluster but it's a straight fit and just put in your gps sd card and that should work without any problems, even the key is the same, I also have a modified twin AMG exhaust system, I put the Australian flag and the Holden badge on the car so I don't feel homesick :)

Attachments:

3 years 2 months ago #23126 by Blue Charger
You've done a lot of serious mods there! I thought I was pushing the boundaries when I swapped the wheels for 20" and made my own dual exhaust trim! I've added carbon mirror covers and front splitter as well as boot lip spoiler. Oh, and a gear knob too! Just need more power now. The car needs 200bhp, just another 40 horses will do.

Attachments:

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #23128 by Roewe
Wow, how did you manage to fit 20'' wheels without touching the guard and imagine the costs of the rims and tyres. I think I would go as far as 18''. As for power I think my car has about 180kw which is roughly about 250ps (hp). I think this is the most I can push for this kind of engine, I'm still searching for a bigger intercooler though. I have attached a few more pics of my car, I had those doors modified to be like that :), this is MG6 sister car.

Attachments:

3 years 2 months ago #23131 by Roewe
Here are some more pics of my engine when I had an oil cooler installed and a new bigger turbo put in. The intercooler on the MG6 is so small I don't see a way of getting a bigger one. There is no room for it to go higher but only thicker. I had the engine cover painted also it was originally black.

Attachments:

3 years 2 months ago #23137 by Blue Charger
That is radical! I'm not sure anyone in the UK has managed to squeeze any more than standard horsepower out of the 6 :( There was talk by a forum member that he has managed 200+ bhp but I've not seen any kits available or evidence. The 20" wheels fit fine. They are 8.5x20 with ET50 offset (standard) so are basically 1/2" wider inside and outside. They do come close to the rear shock and on full lock the fronts come very close to the inner arch, but you can fit 3mm spacers if necessary. I've actually fitted 10mm spacers on the back (hubcentric of course) just for looks. The tyres are Pirelli P Zero 235/35/20 so have only slightly bigger overall diameter. I might try 245/30 next time as these are virtually same OD.

3 years 2 months ago #23139 by Roewe
Wow, ET50, I could only manage ET35 after changing all my disc brakes to AP Racing. I've attached 2 more pics of the engine management control unit. One is the car ECU and the other is the AEM (I got off eBay) that I mentioned earlier. Once you flashed/remapped your ECU then the purpose of the AEM is to unblock all the restrictions of the ECU and you're ready to go as fast you as like with no safety restrictions on the engine. Because I'm older and wiser now I don't push the car everytime I hop into it, I've set my boost controller not to go pass a certain point. If you have anymore questions about the engine let me know, I'd be glad to help out a fellow car enthusiast, I am by no means a qualified mechanic, I learn as I go :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blue Charger

3 years 2 months ago #23140 by Blue Charger
Hi, thanks for the pics. I might try a piggy back ECU when car is out of warranty. I just want another 40 or 50 horses and see how it goes. When you say 'flash/remap the ECU' what do you mean? Do you take the whole kit to a chipping co and get them to do it/install it?

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #23141 by Roewe
Flash/Remap means reprogramming the ECU, there is no kit. They will take out the ECU and reprogram it to increase the air/fuel ratio then this will give the engine more power. I have attached a few more pics for you :) Also one of the pics is my dyno 244ps (horsepower) and 300 torque. My torque would also be able to go up to 350Nm with the use of another electronic device that I have in the car.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.197 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.