Sign In   Register

p0318 rough road sensor

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #24964 by nothin2lose
Hi, I've tried the search on the forum but can't find a result.
I bought this car the other month & I knew it had the ABS traction control lights coming on ( got the price AA warranty cover thrown in for free in case any issues )
Anyway I wasn't too concerned regarding the lights coming on when I locked the steering wheel , but today the engine management light came on & when I read the code it said P0318, rough road sensor.

It sounds kind of connected to the other issue of the ABS sensors, am I correct in thinking this ??

Will the AA warranty be good enough to cover these issues. ( never used a warranty before )

Finally I drove home & set off a bit quick & the speedo wasn't working & a warning triangle was on the display. At the first set of traffic lights I turned it off & on & it works now but I'm hoping that was me simply not letting the dials calibrate or something ... anyone else every had this?

Vehicle is an MG6 Magnette 1.8T petrol ( 35k miles )
I have noticed when cold it has a rough idle considering it's only got low mileage. ( plus nasty lag on the turbo )

Thanks in advance , long term MG R owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #24966 by djkeeling
Replied by djkeeling on topic p0318 rough road sensor
Hi, there seems to be a lot of abs sensors faults, tpms faults and traction control faults but they all seem to be caused by the abs rings or abs wheel sensors. That would be where I would start.

3 years 5 months ago #24970 by nothin2lose
Replied by nothin2lose on topic p0318 rough road sensor
Well , I went through my warranty. Having been sent to Halfords I expected expensive .... instead I got an apology... they said after 24 hours their equipment won't tell them anything about the fault. They've advised me to go to MG....

Warranty company is closed for the weekend, MG was open but not the parts department so they said they will ring me back tomorrow....

On a side note Halfords said my battery is nearly dead & i seem to remember reading somewhere on here or the org that when the battery is low it starts playing up with the system.... Any thoughts

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #24988 by nothin2lose
I've had a go at looking for a dodgy sensor, on the front offside I've located a very loose sensor.... is this suppose to be like this or is this the cause of my warning lights ?

( added ) as it won't let me add the moving GIF basically it jiggles around like an old C64 joystick.
Attachments:

3 years 4 months ago #24992 by djkeeling
That looks like the the brake pad wear sensor not the abs one.

3 years 4 months ago #24993 by nothin2lose
Yes, I've now read through the manual & it said that it was for the brake sensor, however I do think its very wobbly.

Well today I've had the multimeter out & test the OHM & then the volt, nothing registered on the multimeter on the ABS sensors.... the brake sensor returned a result.

I even span the wheels & there was nothing registering.... is it likely that both sensors have failed. Just seems odd that if they have failed why isn't the ABS sensor lit all the time not just when I make a sharp turn or use the ABS.

I even checked the air filter & it had 2010 date stamped on it ... looks quite likely that this has been an unloved car.... good job it's low mileage.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #25000 by nothin2lose
So I with the check engine light being intermittent & me turning it off every few days I decided to order some iridium sparks.... it did make me giggle when I took the big plastic cover off & there is this little baby engine there that was in my ZS hehe looks too small for the size of the car.

Anyway straight away as I pointed in previous posts I've noticed little things about the car that makes me think it hasn't had the easiest life so far. when I took the second cover off the engine I was met with the below ( picture ) 2 coil leads were cracked ( pliers must have been used ) & two coil leads were not even attached to the bit of rubber that goes over the spark plug they were just loosely placed.....

So fingers crossed this is the cause of the check engine light, as an example yesterday I went around a sharp corner at 30mph the ABS & traction control beeped which I wasn't surprised about but the engine management light came on as well. Sound realistic ? ?

with the cracks & bits of plastic missing, should I replace this or is their primary purpose to stop bits going into the spark plug hole, in which case two covers should do that job anyway ?
Attachments:

3 years 4 months ago #25002 by djkeeling
Check out john woods website they do a leads and plug upgrade for the mg6.

3 years 4 months ago #25012 by nothin2lose
Well I took your advice & I have replaced the leads with the ones you advised ( although I found them cheaper on ebay ) & new iridium spark plugs.

I had my phone plugged in whilst changing the leads & it was idling 820 to 840rpm. I swapped the leads over & now they are idling at 780 to 800rpm. Not sure if that's a good thing it's idling lower, the engine sounds exactly the same.

On a plus note the car feels smoother to drive, & I'd say more responsive. However it was only one drive so who knows what difference it's really made.

I will have to give it 3 to 4 days of driving to see if the engine management light comes on again as yesterday ( before I changed the leads ) the light flashed at me & the phone app said I had a misfire on 2 & 3.

1 month 1 week ago #26968 by PeteC
Replied by PeteC on topic p0318 rough road sensor
On my 2011 MG6TSE P0318 was caused by front wheel bearings. The nearside was quite noisy but when replaced the light still came one. After replacing the nearside bearing which wasn't noisy, the light stayed on! Only after looking very carefully at the sensor on the offside it was noticed that the tip of the sensor had a very slight wear mark. Replacing that sensor cured the MIL light but of course the bearing needed changing anyway. Front wheel bearing are the same part number as Rover 75, bur the sensor has a longer lead on the MG6 than on the Rover.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2020 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.