Starting Problems

1 year 5 months ago #25591 by mg6troubleshoot
Iv got a 2013 MG6 and it keeps failing to start and takes many attempts to turn over. All the dash lights come on as normal but just doesnt fire up.

its been getting worse over the last few months. Iv replaced the batter but problem remains

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 5 months ago #25610 by nothin2lose
Replied by nothin2lose on topic Starting Problems
is it the same as my old problem ? ( see video )

1 year 5 months ago #25616 by mg6troubleshoot
Replied by mg6troubleshoot on topic Starting Problems
yeah looks the same, Just have to keep repeating untill it fires up. what caused it? i wondered if it was the keys

1 year 5 months ago #25618 by KevandAnna
Replied by KevandAnna on topic Starting Problems
Are you running your 6 with higher octane petrol?
I now have a diesel version but my original petrol 6 had this or a very similar problem when I filled it with high octane petrol.
Apparently the tuning is not factory set for high octane pertrol.

1 year 5 months ago #25620 by nothin2lose
Replied by nothin2lose on topic Starting Problems
I initially had all of the earth bolts changed at the MG dealer , which seemed to solve it for a bit but then it returned then someone said use the expensive tesco petrol at work, & like magic it instantly fixed it.

After about a month it came back so I filled up with the tesco stuff again another couple of times, & now it's about 6 months after the last time I put the expensive stuff in & still no problems. So I think it's just a case of occasionally putting 5 or 10 pounds worth of the stuff in to keep the car happy. :)

6 months 3 weeks ago #26557 by Unmissable
Replied by Unmissable on topic Starting Problems
The most common starting problem is when  it goes through all the preliminary starting sequence but then the starter motor fails to engage.
This is usually caused by a poor connection at the thin PINK signal wire which connects via a spade terminal on the starter solenoid.
Try sliding the spade up and down a few times to improve the connection. Long term you need a new spade connector fitting or tighten the existing spade but this is a bit more tricky as not much space to work.  There are other comments about this elsewhere in these blogs.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.