Odd eggy sulfur like smell inside the car

4 months 3 weeks ago #26521 by croc02
Hi, I get an odd eggy sulfur like smell in my cabin only after I accelerate hard in the 60-100 kph range.
Air is on recycle as well; in fact that makes no difference.
I have a new Magnette with 1500kms on the clock and its probably had this problem since new; just never pushed it.
Thoughts welcome.

Regards,
Simon - Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #26523 by RudeDogg1
thats normally a sign the cat is knackered

4 months 2 weeks ago #26527 by Munro
Hi have you tried with the setting for outside air to come into the cabin also when was the last time you change the pollen filter.Also have you tried a injection cleaners like redex etc. Donald

4 months 2 weeks ago #26529 by croc02
Tks. It happens with either fresh or recirc. Re pollen filter and injection cleaning; not done either as it is a new car, but then again it was in storage for a few years. thanks Donald.

4 months 2 weeks ago #26530 by brione
Hi Croc02,
If it was in storage for a few years, was the car given a full service? It could be bad oil or fuel. Drive till tank nearly empty, the fully refill to the top of tank, as you may only have just diluted the bad fuel. I'd check the pollen filter also incase anything has become lodged in the cavity where it is?

Cheers

Brione

4 months 2 weeks ago #26533 by croc02
Thanks Brione; yes, full service was done and tank OK. And I will check the pollen filter as soon as I locate it (not shown in the manual) I did eventually get a response from MG Australia and they said it was likely caused by using E10 petrol(10% ethanol).
We'll see. If in fact that is true, I'd still be concerned because that would mean that engine exhaust *is* getting into the car, and by not using E10, you're just unknowingly being polluted by exhaust; you just can't smell it ! :-(

4 months 2 weeks ago #26535 by brione
Hi again the pollen filter is located up to the back of the engine on the passenger side. You have to remove the wipers and take off the plastic shroud. You will then see it in its holder. Also check your drain holes from the windscreen they can block with debris also. They have strange rubber pipes that close at the end and can be prone to holding all sorts, which could cause smells. At only 1500k I wouldn't think this would be a problem but worth a check. I have a diesel but have never had any exhaust smells in the cabin.
Hope you get to the bottom of this and it's not emissions from the exhaust. Keep us posted.

Cheers

Brione

4 months 2 weeks ago #26537 by croc02
Many thanks Brione. Will get onto that and report back on that and the no E10.

4 months 2 weeks ago #26539 by Bacon Boy
Is the engine running ok? (not miss firing or spluttering?) The sulphur smell is normally caused because the catalyst is being 'poisoned' by fuel. This could be because the engine is over fuelling (eg sticking injector) or the ignition system is not performing very well (spark plugs/coils or leads faulty). Poor quality/contaminated fuel can also cause this issue. I sometimes get a slight burning smell (not eggy) when using Shell v-power & driving enthusiastically.

4 months 2 weeks ago #26540 by croc02

Bacon Boy wrote: Is the engine running ok? (not miss firing or spluttering?)
Yes it is all good in this respect.

The sulphur smell is normally caused because the catalyst is being 'poisoned' by fuel. This could be because the engine is over fuelling (eg sticking injector) or the ignition system is not performing very well (spark plugs/coils or leads faulty). Poor quality/contaminated fuel can also cause this issue. I sometimes get a slight burning smell (not eggy) when using Shell v-power & driving enthusiastically.

That's really useful information for me (not being engine savvy) . many thanks.First I'll empty the E10 from the4 tank, and see what's left.

2 months 2 weeks ago #26606 by croc02
I have an update for those interested.
It would appear that by replacing the E10 petrol with std unleaded, the problem is solved.
I've been driving for 2 weeks now with lots of fast accelerations, with no smell :-)
(There is one thing that still concerns me, but that's just because I'm an inquisitive engineer)
Thanks for your inputs.
Rgds,
Simon....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bacon Boy, brione

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.