MG6 engine warning light - OBD2 tool - Code P0234

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #26614 by luca.baldi
Hi. The other day the engine light came on, and so far nothing too unusual based on a few posts in the forum. The car seems to be driving pretty well despite the light so I am not overly concerned, but I would like to investigate the problem. I have seen a lot of very cheap OBD2 tools being sold online and I was wondering if anybody could recommend one that is compatible with the MG6. I would assume most of them would be, but I am no expert.
Many thanks.
Ah forgot to mention my MG6 is the 1.8 petrol just in case it makes any difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 4 days ago #26651 by luca.baldi
Just if anybopdy is interested, I have bought a launch creader 3001 scan tool for a few quid and it seems to work quite ahppily with my car.

2 months 3 days ago #26655 by luca.baldi
A wee update and perhaps some of the more experienced guys out there will have some suggestions.
I hooked up the OBD scanner and checked its readings and it gave me a P0234 code (Engine Overboost Condition).
The engine light is not on, but the code has been registered by the ECM.
The other thing that I have noticed is that the long terms fuel trim is steady at around -13%. Now I am no mechanic but I know that anything above + or - 10% might indicate a problem somewhere.
The other thing I have noticed is that if I accelerate hard, the car at first feels quite willing, but then between 4k and 5k revs it starts hesitating. It's very noticeable, it really pulls back, then goes again, then pulls back, then goes again in quick cycles.
Any thoughts?

2 months 2 days ago #26665 by bflint
Check turbo boost solenoid or connections?

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #26670 by luca.baldi
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I am not sure which one is the component you're referring to. I have narrowed it down to two things, hope it's one of them :-) Could you tell which one it is, I have circled one in red and the other in green, the green one is right next to the air box, the red one is attached to the side of the engine block.
Also, is there a way for me test if it works or do I need to buy a replacement and fit it to check?
Thanks
Attachments:

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #26676 by bflint
Green one, it should say pierburg (brand - might have spelled wrong) where connectors plug in. OBD should be able to test if it's working correctly should be giving reading about 7-8 psi when you put foot down. I've heard a reading of 13+ psi would throw overboost error

1 month 2 days ago #26692 by luca.baldi
I wasn't sure how to go about testing the existing part so I ended up buying a replacement since it's relatively inexpensive. I bought mine from Ebay for around 20 quid, it is the same part used by the Rover 75/MG ZT 1.8T. Fitting it was fairly straightforward, the vacuum lines were a bit stuck so I took care not to damage them. I found it slightly easier when the engine was not stone cold and the rubber a bit softer. I have driven the car for a few days and it feels a lot smoother, and importantly no engine light so far. Fingers crossed that was all it took. Thanks for your suggestions :-)

1 month 2 days ago #26693 by bflint
Glad to hear it's going ok now, fingers crossed it stays that way for you

3 weeks 1 day ago #26705 by luca.baldi
I was too quick to celebrate :-) engine light came back on, as well as P0234 it showed P1297. My guesses are either there is an air leak after the turbo or the valve that is supposed to regulate the air flow from the turbo (I have seen it called wastegate or pressure release valve) is not working. Unfortunately I don't think I have the skills to investigate either so I might try and take it to my local garage. I still find it bizarre that it seems to always happen when I am in third gear, probably just a coincidence.

Time to create page: 0.640 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.