Strange fault

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #26615 by TonyH
Strange fault was created by TonyH
Last week when I started my car (65 plateTL) there was a bang or popping sound which seemed to come from the rear of the car, the main screen went blank and I could not access any of the functions, Radio or Sat Nav etc.
I was convinced it must be a blown fuse as I couldn’t think of any reason for the bang, everything else still worked and the car dove okay, I got to my destination and the car was left for a couple of hours or more. I started up again and the screen and functions were working again, I was quite surprised as I thought it might be a major fault, it has been okay until today when it did exactly the same thing, worked again after a few hours.
I have spoken to the local dealer but they have not come across this before, I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #26616 by MGMatt123
Replied by MGMatt123 on topic Strange fault
I have experienced this problem but I thought it was just me! I also have a 65 plate TL and it's happened many times over the last year or so. I have never been able to make any sense of it, mentioned it to my local dealer once but no luck. Its difficult to explain what the noise sounds like but it definitely sounds like it comes from behind me but it also sounds like it's above me? Like you, I also get the blank screen after hearing the noise and its always when starting the car. It's never really caused a problem but I would say it's an electrical problem. Last year I couldn't start the car as the battery was flat, as I was trying to start it I got the sound and the blank screen that night. I had been in the car half hour with the radio on without the engine running and I put the flat battery down to something (possibly radio, lights etc) draining while sat in the car without the engine running. I never use anything that might drain the battery while not having the engine running anymore. I would also say the noise happens throughout the winter months rather than through summer. I had it happen a few times november to February just gone but not had it happen for a few weeks now. Sorry to have not helped in anyway but I was interested to see someone else with a similar problem as Ive not seen anybody else mention it before. I wonder if anyone else has come across this before. I'm not sure if you do or not, but when the screen freezes or goes blank, press and hold the on off/volume knob for 30 seconds to reset it, it will then come back on. 

2 months 1 week ago #26620 by TonyH
Replied by TonyH on topic Strange fault
Thanks for the reply, it is a strange fault indeed, I have started to wonder if it is something to do with the battery being low, for the last two winters the stop/start on my car has not been working even with very little functions like heating etc running.

2 months 1 week ago #26622 by davidj
Replied by davidj on topic Strange fault
I don't have a TL, or even a diesel but thinking about your problem - could the knock/bang be from the electronic handbrake? I have known pads to stick to disks in winter and release with a bang/knock but not until the car starts to move, but again I have not got the electronic handbrake.

Most MG6 electrical problems seem to come down to a bad earth.

www.mg6register.co.uk - The most popular forum for MG6 owners, and home to the official MG6 forum of the MGCC.

2 months 1 week ago #26624 by TonyH
Replied by TonyH on topic Strange fault
I don’t think it is the handbrake as the fault occurs before the car is moved, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds
© 2019 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.